Cereals 2019: Practical farmer talks headline Bayer’s Speakers Corner
Kicking the talks off at 11am on Weds 12 June will be Andrew Williamson, a farmer from near Bridgnorth in Shropshire discussing “How to make precision farming pay”. Andrew undertook a Nuffield Scholarship studying precision farming in 2013, and has been putting his findings into practice on his farm ever since.
Next up will be Yorkshire farmer Richard Bramley at 11.45am, who will be speaking about “The benefits of cover cropping and their role in climate change mitigation and adaptation”. Richard farms around 200ha south of York and has been growing cover crops since 2008. With a lot of focus on what cover crops can do, Richard will give his view on the benefits he has found.
Gordon Anderson-Taylor, herbicides development manager for Bayer, will be in Speakers Corner at 2pm on Wednesday, and again to kick off the Thursday talks at 11am, laying down what the recent discovery of insensitivity to key herbicide active flufenacet in a small number of black-grass populations, and resistance in some rye-grass populations really means for growers.
Finally Farmplan’s Ben Hatton will follow on Thursday at 11.45am with “Getting more from your yield data” running through how to make sure all the data you can collect from the combine doesn’t go to waste and allows you to make meaningful management decisions to help improve the bottom line in future seasons.
Bayer’s Speakers Corner presentations at a glance
Wednesday 12 June
- 11am Andrew Williamson - How to make precision farming pay.
- 11.45am Richard Bramley - The benefits of cover cropping and their role in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- 2pm Gordon Anderson-Taylor – What the recent discovery of resistance to flufenacet in a small number of black-grass populations means for growers.
Thursday 13 June
- 11am Gordon Anderson-Taylor – What the recent discovery of resistance to flufenacet in a small number of black-grass populations means for growers.
- 11.45am Ben Hatton - Getting more from your yield data.